African Penguin Awareness Day
Saturday, October 12th 2013, from 12:00-3 p.m.
African Penguin Awareness Day, Saturday, October 12th, gives penguin lovers a chance to learn about this 'flipping awesome' species. Meet their keeper, watch a live feeding, color, and help wild African penguin conservation. All proceeds raised during this event go to wild African penguin conservation efforts through SANCCOB (Southern African National Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds). SANCCOB helps wild African penguins and other sea bird species by:
• treating, cleaning, rehabilitating and releasing oiled and injured birds
• rescuing, raising, and releasing wild orphaned chicks
• hatching eggs from areas with unsuitable nesting habitats
• educating the people who live near penguins about how to live alongside their native neighbors and protect their ocean-side home.
Red Barn (inside): 12-2pm
• Coloring pages (free)
• Face painting
• Small penguin crafts and goods sales
• (12-1pm, as supplies last) Ticket sales for penguin encounters ($25/ea; limited availability)
Education Pavilion: 12:30 and 1 pm
• Penguin encounter experience and keeper chat (limited availability; required tickets available in the Red Barn as noted above)
Visitor Center: 2-3pm
• Penguin presentation by keeper
• Penguin painting demonstration and sales
**PROCEEDS SUPPORT WILD PENGUIN CONSERVATION BY SANCCOB
This is an admission free event. We hope to see you there!